Face masks have become a part of everyone’s daily routine over the last year but are only effective when donned and removed effectively. Incorrectly donning or removing face masks can spread of harmful germs and pathogens and reduce the effectiveness of the mask. Ensure you team follows these do’s and don’ts to get the most out of your disposable mask supply.
- Before touching the mask, do perform proper hand hygiene. Wash hands with soap and water for 20-30 seconds or perform hand hygiene with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before touching the face mask.
- Do ensure the mask covers the face fully without gaps. Pull the bottom of the mask so that is fits snuggly under the chin.
- Do fit the mask to the shape of the nose. With the colour side of the mask facing outward, press the strip to snuggly fit over the bridge of the nose and then perform proper hand hygiene.
- Do discard the mask immediately after removal to avoid the spread of germs. Once discarded, perform proper hand hygiene.
- Don’t touch the mask while wearing. If this occurs, perform proper hand hygiene.
- Don’t reuse masks. If a mask gets wet or dirty while in use, replace it and perform proper hand hygiene.
- When removing a mask, don’t touch the front of the mask. Instead, lean forward and gently remove the mask by holding the ear loops or ties.
Post Bunzl Safety’s step-by-step Face Mask Do’s and Don’ts Guide to help your team properly don, remove and dispose of disposable masks – download your free copy today!